Sunday, February 13, 2011

Funding for CPB

The Congress has recently taken up the subject of cutting off funding of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. This is another of many issues that public opinion is divided along party and ideological lines. I know many of my friends and acquaintances will disagree with me on this one, but I believe the government should not support CPB. My main reason is not, as some might assume, a political one. I base my opinion on fiscal responsibility. We are already trillions of dollars in debt and I believe the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and National Public Radio can survive without our tax dollars. The bulk of funding is already provided through contributions from private individuals and corporations. I believe donations from people who support these entities can take up the slack. I am all for the arts and non-commercial broadcasting, but I don't believe they should be funded by the government. I was employed for seven years by a radio network that was (and still is) totally listener supported and has never received any government hand outs. That network has flourished in good financial times and bad. I know it can be done. If we don't get a handle on the out-of-control spending in Washington, the country will be bankrupt anyway. Then will any of this matter?

No comments: