Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Internal Debate Continues

I am having a love/hate relationship with the English Standard Version of the Bible. I try to make it my "main" or "every day" bible, then I will come across a passage that the HCSB or NASB does a better job of translating. There are just too many good translations with too many choices of bindings and layouts. For the most part I keep bouncing back and forth between the ESV and the HCSB these days. The HCSB does seem to read better, but the ESV is more prevalent on Christian radio and at church. I like the fact the HCSB capitalizes pronouns referring to deity. R.L. Allan will soon be offering the ESV in a single column reference edition in BLUE goatskin (they shouldn't tempt me like that). Allan will also soon offer the HCSB in goatskin for the first time ever. I understand there was another revision of the ESV in the spring of 2011....this intrigues me. I love the literary and poetic style of the ESV in the King James tradition, but I also like the HCSB's bold and refreshing move away from tradition in getting at the original Greek in passages like John 3:16. Both translations have online versions and the HCSB seems to offer more tools in their online study bible, but the ESV has audio so I can listen while I read along. It just goes on and on. I guess, for now, I'll just keep on bouncing!

No comments: