Friday, April 13, 2012

A Tale of Two Parishes (continued)

I hate it when things aren't clear-cut.  Take the current situation concerning the two local Anglican churches.  The idea of the two merging apparently isn't as obvious and easy as it seemed at first.  St. Andrews has some good reasons for persevering and moving ahead on their own, that is if they can relocate, move to morning services and retain an ordained minister.  All Souls' location is not the best and there are some, as yet, unanswered questions pertaining to doctrine. 

Speaking from my perspective, at my age I would love to immediately be able to worship in a "church" building.  I have been involved in my share of "store-front" situations and, frankly, I am tired of them.  Musically, All Souls has the more urgent need for voices in their choir, but St. Andrews' choir is great and my first experience of singing with them (in a brief , impromptu rehearsal) was wonderful.  If a definite doctrinal difference can be revealed between the two, that would tip the scales in favor of St. Andrews.  At the same time, however, it must be said...they are both Anglican churches, each a part of larger Anglican groups that are officially in communion with each other.  The "biggie" for me in all of this is that I don't believe in coincidences.  The circumstances leading up to this point make the whole idea of merger seem quite providential to me.  And that is what it comes down to ultimately.....what is God's will in all of this?  Hopefully, time will tell.  I have the luxury, for the moment, to attend the services of both parishes and see how this all plays out.  However, as always, I am the impatient type and cannot seem to wait on the Lord.  Some repentance seems to be in order on my part. 

So the story continues.........

No comments: