Sunday, May 6, 2018

Is Apostasy a Real Thing?

There is one section of Scripture that has continually fascinated, frightened and puzzled me over the years, but now, I believe, I'm starting to get a grip on its teaching.  The passage in question is Hebrews 6:4-6:

                        "For it is impossible to restore again to repentance those who have once been enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, since on their own they are crucifying again the Son of God and are holding him up to contempt."

 First, we should take the Scripture for what it says and not try to explain what was "actually meant".  It seems pretty clear to me.  I don't buy into the interpretation that "tasted" and "enlightened" mean "almost tasted" or "almost enlightened".  This is someone who was/is on the inside.

Next let's look at some verses related to the concept of eternal security.  John 10:28-30 says:

28" I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father’s hand.[c] 30 The Father and I are one.”

I believe this to be true.  The fact is no one outside of myself can separate me from the Father's love....no person, demon, angel or the devil himself.  The difference, and this was the breakthrough for me is that the Lord has given us free will.  Thus, if a person comes to a point in their life that they no longer believe God for Who He is and what He says, they have the ability to turn their back on the Lord and walk away.  If they do, sadly, they may not and cannot return again.  I am not talking about the Christian who continually falls to sin and confesses that sin.  God will forgive a believer a million times if they sincerely go to Him and repent.

No comments: