Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My spiritual journey (Part 4)

We move ahead in time, circa 1978....I'm working at a local radio station in my hometown, am married and my first child is on the way. I'm in my mid-twenties, about to become a father and I have a lot of questions about life and the future. In those days the station would air back-to-back religious programs on Sunday and during my shift on Saturday a certain Wesleyan pastor would drop off his tape for the week. He wasn't much older than me and he would usually hang out for a while and we would shoot the breeze. He answered many of my questions about God and the bible and once again I was drawn to this concept called Christianity. He did not try to ram his beliefs down my throat but demonstrated a genuine interest and concern about me as a person. Later that year when my wife was about to give birth to our son, she experienced some complications and was in the hospital for about a week during the pregnancy. I returned home from my visit to the hospital one night and clicked on the tv to find a Billy Graham crusade. I remember sitting there watching and saying to myself "for the first time in my life this guy is making sense!" The scales were beginning to be removed from my spiritual eyes. The year progressed and my son was born in the summer of '78. No matter who you are or what you believe, when you become a parent for the first time, it does something to you. When you look down at that little life you are holding in your arms, a profound change takes place and you are never the same. Another piece of the puzzle of life had been dropped in place and something big was about to happen.....talk about change!

No comments: