Friday, April 25, 2008

My spiritual journey (Part 6)

In 1980 I was a new Christian who happened to be a radio dj. At that time I began to believe that those two entities could not peacefully co-exist unless.......I could work for a CHRISTIAN radio station! I began in earnest to explore the possibilities, but there were not many opportunities in the area. I eventually discovered a Christian radio station about 25 miles away that aired excellent Bible teaching programs and very conservative music which, at the time, was sort of what I was looking for. I thought I could handle the commute with no real problem.
When I received an offer from this particular broadcasting company, I never dreamed the position they would offer me would be FIVE hours away in another state at a different radio station in their network! Major decision time had arrived. After much thought, debate and prayer, I decided to pull up roots and take my young family to live in the Richmond, Virginia area. Not counting college, this was the first time in my then 27 years I had not lived in my hometown. This was a time of high adventure as I met many different and interesting people and made many new friends. My theology was beginning to take shape and be challenged all at the same time as well (more on that in a later installment). Before closing this section I would like to pay tribute to one of those new friends and interesting people that came into my life during that pivotal year of 1980. He was a fellow announcer at that Virginia radio station (WYFJ) whose name was Randy Adams. He was a very unique individual from Pennsylvania and probably one of the first "yankees"* I ever considered to be a friend of mine. I was sad to hear of his passing on March 8, 2008. He was 53 years old. I will always remember fondly those two years we worked together and talked about "shouting preachers" and the Good and Plenty restaurant back in his home state. We shared a common love of American history and a dislike for ignorance and stupidity.


* Being a guy from North Carolina, anyone who lived above the Mason-Dixon line was considered a "yankee".

No comments: