Saturday, April 6, 2013

First Week Assessment

I have survived the first week at my new job.  By no means do I feel comfortable or "at home" yet, but my boss says I have improved "110%" over the first five days (note one of my pet peeves: using any percentage over 100...there's no such thing).  Have I made the right move by stepping down from 20 years of management and changing companies?  The jury is still out on that one.  I am definitely in a different world.  In some ways the people in this company are, what I would describe as "laid back" and more like "normal" people (in comparison to the strange world from which I recently escaped).  I am re-growing my beard whereas the previous employer allowed no such thing.  I feel like I have received my discharge from the military.  Please don't misunderstand.  My new employer is serious and all about making money...and it does get very hectic at times.  For the first time in over twenty years I have returned to an over 70 mile-a-day round trip commute, but I enjoy the solitude of the ride.  Time will tell the story of this new chapter in my sojourn through this world, and yes Dan, those hot and fresh Krispy Kremes are now within striking distance!

No comments: