Friday, November 18, 2011

The Heart of Evil

    Many of the Jews therefore, who had come with Mary and had seen what he did, believed in him, but some of them went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done. So the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered the council and said, “What are we to do? For this man performs many signs.
(John 11:45-47 ESV)

This scripture follows the raising of Lazarus from the dead by the Lord Jesus Christ.  What struck me was how these Jews, after witnessing this great miracle, ran to report to the religious leaders instead of falling on their faces and worshiping the God of the universe.  Then the religious leaders plot the death of Christ!  This is fascinating!  If I knew of a man who could raise the dead, I think I would be afraid of his power to kill me, instead of me planning his death.  I guess this demonstrates the darkness of the hearts of the impenitent and the depths of evil.  "The heart is desperately wicked...who can know it?"

No comments: