Monday, November 21, 2011

We Lose Another of the "Good Ones"

As I prepare to attend the funeral of one my first cousins, I would like to take a moment to share about him.

Edwin G. Cox ("Eddie" as I remember him from my childhood) passed away on Thursday, Nov. 17, 2011 at the age of 72.  The bulk of my memories of this man are from my childhood, as he was already a teenager when I was born.  I was the ring bearer in his wedding some fifty years ago.  He was mostly raised by our grandparents who lived on the same land my house now rests upon.

 I knew my cousin "Eddie" had served his country in the navy, attended NC State where he studied engineering, and worked for NASA.  What I did not know about him, and I only learned this yesterday, is that he actually invented technologies which were used in Minute Man missiles, and the Apollo 11 and  Voyager space programs.  He also invented military technology used to this day by the U.S. Navy.

Edwin G. Cox was 14 years my elder and we never lived in the same community, but I wish I had gotten to know my cousin better.  I count it a privilege to attend his funeral today.

No comments: